1/3 Photos of Bacalhau à Gomes De Sá /Cod & Potato Cape Verd
I had this while on holiday on the island of Sal, of the Cape Verde islands in October 2007. As an ex-Portuguese colony the Portuguese influences are strong. We found this recipe so delicious I had it several times while I was in Cape verde and enjoyed several attempts at making it at home as soon as we got back. This tastes pretty close to the original. If you can possibly use dried salt cod, then please do, the flavour is definitely superior to average ordinary white fish. As usual with salt cod, no additional salt is needed in the recipe, it will be salty enough. For instructions on how to deal with your dried salt cod, I recommend this recipe by Julesong: How to Prepare Salt Cod. My recipe time assumes that you have soaked and cooked your salt cod already and that you've taken out the bones, so it's flaked and ready to go. I usually hard boil the eggs in the same water with the potatoes and remove them with a slotted spoon once I figure that they have had enough time to have hard boiled. Saves using an extra pot! This can be made a day in advance but more time than stated would be needed in the oven to heat it though.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat your oven at 400°F (200°C).
- 2Hard boil your eggs in the potato water.
- 3Cover the peeled potatoes in water and boil until they are just cooked though, then drain the water and cut them into thin slices and then cut them further into approximately 1 inch x 1 inch ( 2.5 cm x 2.5 cm) bits. It doesn't have to be really precise, just so that the potato slices are in small bits roughly all the same size.
- 4Put the olive oil into a fry pan and gently saute the onion and garlic until golden but not browned.
- 5Peel the hard boiled eggs and roughly chop 5 of them, but carefully slice the last egg into rounds for decoration.
- 6Mix, but don't mash! the flaked, cooked, salt cod with the potato, onion and garlic mixture, then add the nutmeg and pepper and parsley. If the mixture is too dry, a very small amount of water can be added to make it only just stick together.
- 7Spoon the mix into a baking dish and lay out the decorative egg rounds on the top. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes until it is completely warmed though.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacalhau à Gomes De Sá /Cod & Potato Cape Verd
Serving Size: 1 (631 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1358.5
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 662.7 mg
- Sodium 16066.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 164.0 g