Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
A traditional Portuguese dish. Serve this with thinly cut french fries, rice and a salad of mixed greens with a vinaigrette dressing. I love eating this when I go back home - it is so good! I only make it once a year - DH won't eat cod. If he only knew what he was missing! Enjoy! Prep time includes cooling time for cod.
- 3 pieces cod, cooked and cooled and shredded into bite-size pieces (make sure to remove bones and skin)
- 1 -2 onion, chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 4 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 3 eggs, beaten
- lemon, sliced into round pieces
- Fry chopped onion and garlic in oil.
- When cooked, add shredded, cooled, cod fish.
- Fry for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add beaten eggs, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until eggs are cooked.
- Place on a platter and sprinkle parsley over top.
- Use lemon pieces as a garnish- may also squeeze lemon juice from pieces on individual servings- up to you.
We have both finished 40 year careers, and while traveling, fell in love with the Portuguese Azores - and we're retiring to Sao Miguel! What a beautiful country, and incredible people and culture. In doing so, we experimented with Portuguese cuisine. We cooked this recipe and now count Bacalhau a Bras as a favorite comfort food. Easy to make and it is equally as good re-heated, although we tend to eat it all hot. Wonderful recipe and instruction! Thank you.
I'll bet this is good with salmon or halibut,too.