1 hr 10 mins
I just LOVE salt cod! This recipe is a simple but tasty dish that originates in Spain, but there are similar recipes in many hispanic countries. Don't be put off by the salt cod - it looks and smells strange at first, but the finished recipes are delicious! Time does not include 8-12 hours soaking time. NOTE: Bacalao can be found at most italian grocers. There is plastic bagged bacalao, but the best comes in a wooden crate and is sold by the piece. It gets quite pricy, but is worth the extra cost. :--)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the salt cod in plenty of water for 8-12 hours, changing the water five or six times. This will remove excess saltiness.
- 2Add the cod to a pan of boiling water and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and leave for 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- 3Remove skin and flake the fish into large pieces, removing any bones. Place in a bowl.
- 4Preheat the grill. Cut the red pepper into quarters and grill, skin-side-up, until the skin blackens and blisters. Place in a plastic bag and leave to cool, then peel away the skin. Slice thinly.
- 5Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes our till transparent. Add garlic, chili flakes and paprika and cook for 1 minute.
- 6Increase heat to high and add white wine, simmer for 30 seconds. Reduce heat add the tomato and tomato paste and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until thick.
- 7Add the cod, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Gently stir in the sliced pepper and parsley.
- 8Taste before seasoning with salt. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Spanish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spanish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacalao With Red Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.9
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 93.5 mg
- Sodium 4349.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 39.5 g