Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
This dish is rich and not salty at all. Bacalao is delicious when made into fritters, coated with bread crumbs and deep-fried, or served stuffed into a roasted sweet pepper. Angela Tamura, ZuZu’s chef, prepares it more simply, accompanying it with a crispy garlic crostini. Bacalao is served at ZuZu for $8.00. This recipe is meant to serve two as an appetizer, I think it would be great with soup and a salad! The cod has to be soaked overnight and the water must be changed an average of two times.It is served with garlic-rubbed, toasted olive "oiled" crostini! (I am sure you at least got my drift!)
- 3⁄4 lb salt cod fish
- 1⁄4 yellow onion
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white truffle oil, and a little more to drizzle on top (optional)
- Soak the cod overnight in cold water, changing the water a couple of times.
- Remove the fish from the water and clean away any bone or skin.
- In a small saucepan put in the cleaned fish, chopped onion, garlic, celery, bay leaf and white wine, and cover with cold water.
- Bring the saucepan to a boil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a separate pan, place the potato and cover with cold water, simmer until the potato is soft, and drain placing through a potato ricer or mash them lightly.
- Heat the cream together with the butter in a separate pan until the butter has melted.
- Remove the fish from the liquid and place it in a small food processor.
- Add the cream and melted butter to the food processor and pulse lightly.
- Combine the mixture in the food processor with the potato, add the truffle oil and mix well using a rubber spatula or spoon.
- Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste. (Do not mix the potato together with the fish using the food processor or the mixture will become starchy.).
- At ZuZu, Bacalao is served in a clay baking dish after running it under the broiler to brown it slightly.
I had this dish at ZuZu about 2 years ago and it was great. Very tasty dish. My BF said we had to go to this restaurant and be sure to order this dish. It is definitely a dish to try.