This makes a very tasty appetizer! Chill overnight, it makes for a less salty fish. These are served all over Miami and they are so good! Originally on the Goya Foods web site.
- Soak codfish in cold water overnight in the refrigerator.(Change the water at least 3 times ~ have also heard that it is good when soaked in milk).
- Drain, rinse with cold water several times.
- In a saucepan, cover codfish with water, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cool, remove skin and bones.
- Shred the fish.
- In a bowl make a batter by whisking together the flour, baking powder, adobo and water.
- When smooth, mix in garlic, cilantro and shredded fish.
- Check for seasoning, if necessary add some more pepper or the adobo with pepper.
- In a skillet, heat 1/4" of oil on medium heat.
- Drop the batter by spoonsful into hot oil and cook until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel.