Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
One of Puerto Rico's signature dishes. It can be main, side dish or just an appetizer. The Cod is finely chopped, therefore, the flavor is not so strong. Very high in calories but worth having at least two once a year!
- Cut the cod fish in small chunks, place in a pot, cover with water and boil on high for 15 minutes.
- Drain, debone, wash and shred.
- In a bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Make a little well in the center. Pour the water slowly and mix to make a thick like sauce.
- Add the pepper and sazón and stir well.
- In a mortar, crush the garlic and culantro leaves. Add to the mix.
- Add the shredded bacalao and mix well.
- In a frying pan, pre-heat the vegetable oil.
- Fry the bacalaitos on high heat by dropping big spoonfuls in hot oil.
- Turn as needed.
- Bacalaitos are done when they are golden.
- Drain in paper towels.
Excellent!!! I use salted pollock (because that is all I could find. My family devoured them within hours
hmm...these were ok..too greasy for me though! They have an interesting texture cuz of the baking powder, which i liked. I think they were better the next day, when i heated them up in the oven and then sprinkled them with vinegar and salt - yummmm. Maybe I'll add some onion to the batter next time or something =)
superb its been so long since i had these they came out great a taste of home