Recipe by thepurpleturtle
Okay, well spaghetti is, (and always has been), my favorite food in the whole wide world. I absolutely love it every which way. This is my final, favorite recipe after years of trying different recipes and finally tweaking them all to my liking. I like it served with garlic bread and sprinkled with lots of parmesan cheese. This recipe has some optional ingredients that definately aren't needed, just added extras! I also use this as my base recipe for other pasta dishes (like lasagna or by replacing the ground meat with Italian sausage slices for a sausage and pepper penne, etc..)
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (680 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel (I grind it up)
- 1 bay leaf (I grind it up)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I grind this up too)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup pepperoni (optional) or 1⁄2 cup prosciutto (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pancetta (optional) or 1⁄2 cup crisp bacon, finely chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the ground beef, onions and garlic until beef is cooked through, drain.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for parmesan cheese and simmer for 1-3 hours, depending on your timeframe.
- Add parmesan cheese to the sauce just before serving.
- Serve over your favorite pasta noodles, I love Vermicelli. Sprinkle with additional parmesan cheese.