Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This chili is just as hearty as beef chili only without the added fat. I wanted something low calorie (low WW points) for my lunches and this fit the bill nicely! You can add any extra vegetables that you like. 1 cup per serving.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced thick
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup nonfat beef broth (I use beef OXO)
- 19 ounces black beans, rinsed
- 14 ounces kidney beans, rinsed
- 14 ounces baked beans in tomato sauce
- 23 ounces tomato sauce
- 5 ounces tomato paste
- 19 ounces diced tomatoes (regular or chili accent)
- 48 g chili seasoning mix, 1 package
- Cook the onions, garlic, mushrooms and bell peppers in a little of the beef broth, until veggies are soft, adding more broth if needed.
- Add the rest of the beef broth and the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
- Note: Have a taste about halfway through cooking and adjust seasonings if needed. I'm not sure if all chili seasoning packages are the same potency so you may need to add extra chili, cumin, salt and pepper if needed.
This chili was awesome! I used vegetable broth instead of beef broth, and i only used half of the amount of broth to cook the vegetables.. i didn't add any broth to the chili, because i like a thicker chili. I also added chili powder, black pepper, and garlic powder to taste. Everything else I left the same, and it was so good and easy to make! :) Thanks for the recipe!
Vegetarian approved! Sub. veggie broth and fire roasted tomatoes. AWESOME!