Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a really good, hearty chicken chili. I add tabasco sauce to my own serving for added heat.
Make and share this Babzy's Chicken and Barley Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can corn
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (398 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can chili beans
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded (I use Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Breasts for Freezing - OAMC)
- Cook onion, garlic and bell pepper in olive oil until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients, except chicken, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add chicken and continue cooking for 20 more minutes.
This was a great way to use some leftover cooked chicken I had. This is the first time I've ever had barley in a chili, and it added a pleasing texture.