Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've been making this dish with every turkey dinner for years. You have no idea how many picky people have not wanted to try it because they didn't think they liked yams... but then loved this dish! It's funny actually, and this dish is always requested year after year.
- 3 -4 lbs yams (cooked and mashed *see note)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- In a bowl, mix together the topping ingredients and set aside. (Note: I'm now gluten free and make this without the flour and it turns out just fine).
- In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and place into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle topping over yam mixture and bake, uncovered at 350 or 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Note: The dish can be assembled the day before, refrigerated overnight and then baked in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
- *To cook the yams, I bake in a 400 degree oven until soft when pierced with a fork. Place them on a foil-lined baking sheet in case they leak a bit. Cooking time depends on size of yams, but for a few medium-sized yams it usually takes about an hour. Let them cool and then just pull the skin off and mash.