Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Lighter Butter Chicken that is diet friendly and only 4 ww points per serving!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat free cream
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fat free sour cream or 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter, until onions are soft.
- Slice chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
- Combine spices (except garam masala) and toss chicken pieces until well coated.
- Add the chicken to the onions and saute until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides.
- In a separate bowl or large measuring cup, combine the fat-free cream, tomato sauce, fat-free sour cream and garam masala with a whisk, then pour over chicken mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, making sure that chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro if desired.
Wonderful. I halved the cayenne pepper because I was worried it would be too spicy. I didn't have fat free half and half so I used 2% milk instead. I only had an 8oz can of tomato sauce. It still turned out great. Instead of chicken I used cubes of homemade paneer cheese.
Made this for dinner last night, it was excellent. I substituted boneless thighs because that's what I had thawed. When I was cooking my husband complained that there was too much sauce. When it was finished he could not stop dipping his naan bread in the extra sauce. Definitely a hit in my house. Thanks for the recipe.
I didn't see this recipe, I saw the original recipe and made it. It was FANTASTIC! Some changes I made -- instead of butter I used olive oil. My family likes very spicy dishes, so I added cayenne to the cream mixture. I can't find garam masala, so I used curry powder instead. I added frozen peas in the final 5 minutes of simmering. Delicious!! Now, I will have to try this lighter version. Thanks very much!