Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
30 years ago my babysitter used to make these with me. It fulfilled every mud pie fantasy I ever had because we got to dump all kinds of creative things in these cookies. Hope you like them.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup cereal
- 1⁄2 cup coconut (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup peanut butter (optional)
- Melt together the butter and shortening.
- Add sugars and cream thoroughly.
- Add eggs, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, flour, oatmeal, cereal (corn flakes, grape nuts, cocoa puffs -- whatever you have) and mix well.
- Stir in any or all of the optional ingredients.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-12 minutes.
My kids love these cookies -- for the mere fact that they can make them any way they want. They are always yummy. I love that we can just use whatever we have on hand.
These were really good cookies. I used all butter instead of shortening because shortening contains trans fats. Then I started to add peanut butter and thought I should probably cut down on the butter if I did that so I used less than half a cup. Anyway cookies were very good. Then were fairly thin and a little soft but still a little crispy. Might have been different if I had used shortening.My husband absolutely loves them and thought they should get 4.5 stars.
Wonderful! I would not normally put all the add-ins in but I had them all on hand and thought, "What the heck?" They turned out perfectly! I made them with plain corn flakes but next time I think I might try cocoa puffs for a little different taste. We decided to call them by a different name though, since we aren't making them with a babysitter. We call them pantry cookies because just about everything in our pantry went into them!