Recipe by Vicki in CT
Crunchy, cheesy with a zip.
Top Review by Meredith K.
This was pretty good, and I''ll probably make it again with a few changes. I''ll cut the salt in half, or maybe to just 1 tsp, and I won't bake as long. A crispy bottom sounds nice, but mine got too brown and the sides stuck.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 3 jalapenos, diced
- 1⁄2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F with cast iron skillet inside.
- Meanwhile, mix dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese.
- Remove skillet from oven and rub cooking oil on bottom and sides. Pour half of batter mixture into hot greased iron skillet. Top with 1/2 of cheese. Pour remaining batter over this and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and leave in for 15 additional minutes.