Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Source: Better Homes & Garden website. Perfect cupcakes for your baby's first birthday party!!! Cooking time includes 1 hour for cupcakes to cool.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 2 (16 ounce) cans white frosting
- liquid food coloring or food coloring paste, in desired color
- candy sprinkles
- multicolored sugar nonpareils
- candy covered plain chocolate candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line twenty-four 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with foil bake cups or paper bake cups; Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, apple pie spice, and baking soda; Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a large measuring cup, combine applesauce and buttermilk.
- Alternately add applesauce mixture and flour mixture to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about one-half to two-thirds full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centers of cakes comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pans and cool thoroughly on racks.
- Tint frosting with liquid food coloring or paste as desired.
- Frost cupcakes and decorate with candy sprinkles, nonpareils, and candy-coated chocolate pieces, as desired.
- Makes 24 cupcakes.
these are so yummy. my ss wanted green icing :) they want them again he said next time with blue icing.
I made these cupcakes for a playdate recently! They were a hit!! The babies, toddlers and older kids alike all enjoyed these and they are healthier for them!!