1/1 Photo of Baby's Favorite Prune Cake
1 hr 10 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
I made this when my cousin wouldn't part with her recipe for prune cake, and none of the recipes I could find seemed to match the goodness of her baking. This is almost an exact replica, and for all I know could be exactly what she uses. You will find that this cake is a very old-fashioned quick bread that uses baby food to keep it moist and provide that extra burst of flavor. I am sure it will quickly become one of your favorites!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 12 ounces prune baby food (applesauce could be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups pitted prunes, snipped into raisin-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons sorghum molasses
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Grease 13x9x2" cake pan, and set aside.
- 3Cream together margarine and sugar until well blended; add lightly beaten eggs and mix well.
- 4Add prune baby food and molasses to sugar/egg mix and blend well.
- 5In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients except nuts and prunes.
- 6Add to dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- 7Add nuts and prunes and fold into batter.
- 8Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in 325 degree oven for approximately 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out pretty clean.
- 9Serve plain, as a snacking cake, or for a sweeter touch, sift confectioners sugar over cake; or make a glaze of confectioners sugar and milk to a drizzling consistency and drizzle over cake.
- 10Tastes good plain though.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baby's Favorite Prune Cake
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 355.2
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 31.0 mg
- Sodium 469.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 34.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g