Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
I wanted to feed Lucy cake on her first birthday but didn't want to introduce her to new foods on her big day. I also baked it ahead of time so she could sample the cake two to three days in advance in case of a reaction (I didn't actually decorate it until the day of her party). Recipe adapted from a blog called greenparenting (I reduced the egg white, and left out the walnuts/raisins suggested)
- 2⁄3 cup banana, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 marshmallows
- smarties candies (1 blue)
- 1 licorice, rope
- Grease and flour a 9 X 13 inch pan.
- Beat banana and butter until creamy.
- Beat in water.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until very foamy.
- Beat into mixture.
- Blend in dry ingredients.
- Beat until smooth.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Draw a cat head onto a piece of paper (approx 4 by 5 inches).
- Use cat stencil to cut out two cat heads.
- Frost top of one layer and place second cat head on top of first.
- Frost cake (use a sugarless cream cheese or sour cream filling).
- Decorate with cat face.
- Remove candy before allowing baby to attack cake.
It should maybe be pointed out that Smarties in Canada are chocolate candies, similar to M&Ms but wider and flatter. (What US residents know as Smarties are called Rockets in Canada.)
I found this while looking for a lower sugar option for my baby. I'll make it and pop back .on to review. Thank you for posting!!