This was the 2006 Cook-Off Finalist recipe for Southern Living Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- 2Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- 3Combine flour and baking soda.
- 4Gradually add half of flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended, and stopping to scrape bottom and down sides of bowl.
- 5Add remaining half of flour mixture, and beat until blended.
- 6Add vanilla and next 5 ingredients, beating at medium speed until smooth.
- 7Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray, filling two-thirds full.
- 83. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 9Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes.
- 10Remove warm cakes from pan, and sprinkle with toasted pecans.
- 11Top each cake with 2 1/2 Tbsp Caramel-Pecan Sauce (*recipe follows).
- 12Serve with vanilla ice cream or ice-cold heavy cream, if desired.
- 13*Caramel-Pecan Sauce:.
- 14Cook butter and sugar in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- 15Whisk in heavy cream and coffee granules. Bring mixture to a light boil, stirring constantly.
- 16Turn off heat, and let stand on cooktop until slightly cool, stirring often. Makes 2 cups.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baby Sweet Potato Cakes With Pecans and Sticky Caramel Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.3
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 99.1 mg
- Sodium 387.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 4.1 g