Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was the 2006 Cook-Off Finalist recipe for Southern Living Magazine.
Make and share this Baby Sweet Potato Cakes With Pecans and Sticky Caramel Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- heavy cream (optional)
- Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
- Combine flour and baking soda.
- Gradually add half of flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended, and stopping to scrape bottom and down sides of bowl.
- Add remaining half of flour mixture, and beat until blended.
- Add vanilla and next 5 ingredients, beating at medium speed until smooth.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray, filling two-thirds full.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes.
- Remove warm cakes from pan, and sprinkle with toasted pecans.
- Top each cake with 2 1/2 Tbsp Caramel-Pecan Sauce (*recipe follows).
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or ice-cold heavy cream, if desired.
- *Caramel-Pecan Sauce:.
- Cook butter and sugar in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Whisk in heavy cream and coffee granules. Bring mixture to a light boil, stirring constantly.
- Turn off heat, and let stand on cooktop until slightly cool, stirring often. Makes 2 cups.
These were moist and delicious. I added just a bit of ground nutmeg to the batter and used 1 cup of mashed cooked sweet potato instead of the canned sweet potato, very moist! See Baked Sweet Potato http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-sweet-potato-55678, you'll never prepare a better sweet potato than this! I did not add the pecans to the topping.
This is a great alternative to powdered sugar frosting and old stand by cake mix cake. It also would be good with cream cheese frosting.
Moist & delicious... I did have to cook the muffins an additional 5 minutes. I did not make the caramel sauce to go on top. The muffins were wonderful enough without it. Made for Newest Zaar Tag