Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love this salad. The dressing is really tasty and easy. Cheese crisps are fun to make, just be careful not to burn them (or your fingers)! You could add other flavors to the cheese crisps, ex. try it with cracked black pepper and chopped thyme or other herbs - add them as the cheese melts. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 12 ounces Baby Spinach, fresh and washed
- 1 -2 small red apple
- 1 lemon wedge
- 3 -4 sprigs fresh thyme, stripped from stems and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Over medium-high heat, heat a nonstick skillet. Add the shredded Swiss in small, 1 1/2 inch piles to the hot skillet. When the cheese fries to a light golden color at the edges, about 2 minutes, and can be moved with a thin spatula, flip the cheese rounds and cook another 15 to 30 seconds, then remove from skillet and transfer to plate or rack to cool. Repeat to form 12 to 16 crisps, 3 or 4 per salad.
- Put the spinach in a bowl. Core and thinly slice the apples then squeeze a wedge of lemon over them to keep them from browning. Toss the apples with the spinach.
- For the dressing, combine the thyme, Dijon and vinegar with a whisk. Stream in the olive oil while continuing to whisk. Pour over the salad and toss to coat greens and apple evenly. (You may not need to add all of the dressing. Add enough to lightly coat your salad.).
- Transfer the salads to plates and top with the Swiss crisps.
Great combo with the apples and cheese! My bf loved the cheese crisps and kept picking at them. The vinegar over powered the dressing a bit so i did mix in some jam to balance it out. Thanks!
This was very good! The cheese crisps were really easy to make. (EZ is good!) DH is not much of a salad lover, but he said "give it a 5"! Made for LBOB/ CQ2015
Very nice salad! I loved the cheese crisps and made a bunch extra to snack on. :) DH wasn't wild about the dressing initially so I added a splash of maple syrup and a touch more mustard. We both very much enjoyed it then. Thanks for posting!
Made Food.Commandos ~ ZWT 7