Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a delicious, refreshing salad great for the summer. I love the ruby red grapefruits and this is just another way of using them. From Delicious Living magazine.
- 2 red grapefruits
- 6 cups about 5 ounces baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced into crescents
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled gorgonzola (optional)
poppy seed dressing
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil or 1⁄2 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1. To make dressing, mix together honey, vinegar, and mustard. Using a wisk, add oil in a slow stream and mix well. Stir in poppy seeds. This makes about a cup of dressing.
- 2. Using a serrated knife, cut, and peel the membranes from grapefruit. Section fruit and throw away the membranes.
- 3. Gently arrange spinach on individual plates. Top with sliced avocado and grapefruit sections. Drizzle 1 tablespoon dressing over each salad. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and gorgonzola, if desired.
Excellent salad! The gorgonzola is a bit sharp, I might opt for blue cheese next time, but still -- fantastic! We added cooked shrimp to make it a full meal.