------Lentils are very versatile and packed with protein and fiber. This is delicious served over baby spinach or mixed greens. Developed for RSC #9.------
- 236.59 ml dried brown lentils
- 709.77 ml vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 59.14 ml kalamata olive, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium carrot, scrubbed and shredded
- 29.58 ml parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 9.85 ml fresh thyme leaves or 2.46 ml dried thyme leaves
- 2.46 ml fennel seed
- 2.46 ml oregano (Greek if you have it.)
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 118.29 ml feta cheese, crumbled
- 283.49 g Baby Spinach
- Sort and wash lentils, place in a pan with bay leaf, cinnamon stick and stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain, discarding the bay leaf and cinnamon stick.
- While the lentils are cooking, place the minced garlic and onion in a small skillet adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of the lentil cooking liquid; cook the onions and garlic until soft and lightly browned.
- Place the lentils in a large bowl adding the olives through parsley; stir in cooked onion and garlic.
- Combine the fennel seeds, oregano and red pepper flakes, crushing to release the flavors; add to the lentil mixture.
- Drizzle with the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Add feta cheese and mix to combine, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for several hours before serving.
- Divide the salad greens among chilled plates and top with lentil salad mixiture.