Recipe by KristinV
I made these cupcakes for my sister-in-law's Baby Shower. She wasn't finding out what the sex of her baby was until the birth so I used that for the frosting idea (see the picture). I am a strict vegetarian who rarely gets to enjoy special occassion treats so these are vegan so I get to join in the fun :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 teaspoons vanilla essence (or extract)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond essence
- 1⁄2 cup Copha (melted)
- 6 cups icing sugar (sifted)
- red food coloring
- blue food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- For Cupcakes:.
- Preheat oven to 180C and line muffin pan with paper liners.
- Whisk 1 cup soy milk and the vinegar together and let sit a few minutes until curdled.
- Beat together the soy milk mixture, oil, sugar, 2 tsp vanilla and the almond essence in a large bowl. Sift in the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 tsp salt and mix until no large lumps remain.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds of the way and bake for 20 to 22 minutes till done. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
- FOR THE FROSTING.
- In a bowl mix melted Copha, remaning salt, remaining vanilla, and about 1/3 of the icing sugar.
- Add remaining soy milk and remaining icing sugar alternately. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Divide frosting into 3 bowls. Make one pink, one blue (desired shade) and leave one white.
- When Cupcakes are cooled use a piping bag to frost 6 cakes pink, 6 blue and use white icing for question marks.