Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This gratin is a great twist on the traditional creamed onions served with your holiday meal. From Good Food Magazine November 1988.
- 2 lbs baby onions
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces fresh spinach, stems removed, rinsed well
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place onions in large heavy saucepan and add water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until barely tender, 7-10 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Slip off skins and trim root ends.
- Melt 2 T. butter in same saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add spinach and cook, stirring frequently, until spinach is wilted and liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan and the cream. Add onions and combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to shallow 1-quart baking dish.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and the bread crumbs and sprinkle evenly over onion mixture. Bake in oven until top is browned, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.