Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy and tasty. Traditionally Italian bread called Friselle are used but sourdough or other peasant style bread would work as well - or even pasta or rice.
- 2 lbs baby octopus
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 large garlic cloves
- crushed red pepper flakes
- sourdough bread, sliced and toasted
- rinse octopus well and remove "beak" from base of head.
- drain well.
- In a large heavy based saucepan combine the octopus, tomatoes, oil, parsley (reserve 1 tablespoon of parsley for garnish), crushed garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover the pan and cook for 15 minutes more until the octopus is tender and the sauce is thick (pierce with knife to test).
- Sprinkle the friselle with water to soften slightly.
- Divide the friselle, or slices of toasted sour dough among 6 plates.
- top with the octopus and sauce and garnish with the reserved chopped parsley.