1/1 Photo of Baby Moses in a Basket
I was tasked with making desserts for seder and happened upon this recipe. DS was quite excited about it so we tried it. These are to represent baby Moses as he was put into a basket and floated down the Nile River. This recipe was originally found in the Jewish Festival Cooking cookbook. Original recipe says for marzipan the amount of ground almonds is a slightly rounded cup but RZ will not take that. In addition, it says a few drops rose water or almond extract but RZ translates that to 3 drops.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 -18 large medjool dates
- 3 1/2 ounces blanched slivered almonds, ground (slightly 1 or 3 1/2 ounces whole blanched almonds, ground (slightly 1+ cup)
- whole blanched almond, ground (slightly 1+ cup)
- 3 1/2 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kfp vanilla extract
- 3 drops rose water or 3 drops almond extract
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot water
- 1Slit the dates lengthwise and remove the pits.
- 2Grind almonds in food processor until a powder consistency.
- 3With machine running, add sugar, vanilla, rose water / almond extract and 1 tsp hot water.
- 4Mixture should begin to come together in a ball (if not, continue slowly adding hot water, being careful not to add too much or consistency will be too soft).
- 5For each Moses, make a small ball for the head and an oval piece for the body.
- 6Roll the body in the crushed pistachio nuts and attach body to head.
- 7Put Moses in a date and press the date to secure him.
- 8Gently pinch top and bottom of date to make basket shape, if necessary.
- 9Using whole clove, pierce 2 holes in the head.
- 10Place coriander seed or mustard seed in holes to represent Moses' eyes.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baby Moses in a Basket
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 95.0
- Calories from Fat 36
- Total Fat 4.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 1.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: