Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Okay, so, when my husband and I got married everyone thought it'd be hilarious to get us a pig (think Varsity Blues), only instead of getting us a cute little potbelly pig, these guys went out to the country and bought a butcherin' hog. First few months, this pig was soooooo cute, it ate out of my hand, played with the dogs, we even took it to the dog park a time or two. However, six months into it, the pig was still growing... and growing... and growing. Bacon (that's what we named her) finally started tearing up our backyard, destroyed our air conditioning unit trying to get to the roots under it, pushed the dogs around so they didn't get any food (these are Great Danes, big dogs, by the way), tipped over the water basin daily and generally outgrew her surroundings. One day, I get home and... well, long story short, my husband had made a trip to Marvin's Meats and brought home about 300 lbs. worth of pork and there was no piggie to be found in my backyard. I wouldn't touch that meat for six months until our freezer got so bare there wasn't anything but the piggie meat. So, I tried not to think of my little pickle-eater while I cooked up ribs (so good!), butt roast (the best I've ever had) and pork chops (Marvin cut 'em real thick). And this recipe is what came of the last of the sausage and some dried beans in the cabinet.
- 2 lbs dry baby lima beans, washed
- 12 cups water
- 4 cups hot tap water
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 1 lb mild sausage
- 1 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 1 tablespoon Frank's red hot sauce
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Place 2 lbs. Lima's in 12 cups water. Bring to a soft boil and maintain for approximately 1 hour or until beans are mostly done but still a little crunchy. Throughout the cooking, add hot tap water to keep the beans covered and strain off any foam that appears.
- Fry bacon chunks until crispy and add bacon and grease to beans with boullion cubes.
- Cook beans the rest of the way.
- Cook sausage in a large skillet and add Frank's hot sauce and ground sage.
- Combine all ingredients and enjoy!