Recipe by Bev
I love a wonderful vegetable dish and this one looks to me like a real winner! From Gourmet.
Top Review by Daydream
This delicious, foolproof version of succotash, is made special by the inclusion of bacon, shallots, green bell pepper and cream. Apparently, succotash, an indigenous dish of corn and lima beans, was introduced to white settlers by the Native American Algonkian and Powhatan tribes. I was unable to obtain frozen baby lima beans, and instead cooked dried lima beans, before proceeding with the recipe. If possible, it may be even more delicious with fresh or frozen lima beans. Thank you for posting this recipe Bev. I will make it again.
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch-wide pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp.
- Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then cook onion and bell pepper in fat in skillet over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add lima beans, corn, water, salt, and pepper, then simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and add cream, then boil, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in herbs and salt to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with bacon.