Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my Dad's Famous Boat Grub Recipe as I recall it to memory. He cooked this up on a camping trip down on the Murvaul Creek Bottom as I remember at an old camp site, we named after him. We called it Baby Huey's Camp and this is how this recipe got its known name. It is a very tasty combination of flavors. If you've never had boat grub you gotta give this one a try! My Dad use to work the boats as a deck hand. They would prepare this a quick meal on the barges, that he worked on when he was a young man! So, it's kinda like a riverboat and a camp meal all in one! It's a great side dish and camp food.
- Precook your rice and set aside until needed.
- Saute onions in oleo, using a 2 quart pan. They must clarify well.
- Add in the franks and gently stir fry, until they begin to brown a little.
- Mix in pork and beans and precooked medium grain rice. (You have to use medium grain or it will turn into mush.).
- Lastly, add in sugar and shredded sharp cheddar cheese. set to simmer for 10 minutes, to melt in cheese as you stir.