This recipe is for a super salad. The fresh puree in the dressing makes it divine. The balance of sweet strawberries and somewhat tart blue cheese makes every morsel flavorful. Fun to serve anytime. It was quickly eaten in our home. It comes from the Wisconsin Milk Board. Great for any day. If you don't like baby greens sub in romaine. or butter lettuce. Enjoy! ChefDLH
- 5 medium strawberries (washed and hulled, from 1-pound container)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (plus extra for berry puree)
- 1⁄3 cup fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 3⁄4 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) bag salad greens (baby bitter greens mixture i.e spinach, arugula, mache, watercress or all spinach 5 ounces)
- remaining strawberry, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup packaged oven-roasted sliced almonds
- 4 ounces wisconsin blue cheese, crumbled
- Make the dressing.
- Whirl the 3 to 5 strawberries in a blender with a dash of balsamic vinegar until puréed (or mash by hand).
- In a small bowl, whisk the 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, olive oil and sugar until well blended. Whisk in pureed berries.
- Place greens in salad bowl. Add desired amount of dressing and toss.
- Add almond slices and Blue cheese and lightly toss.
- Serve immediately.