Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Ah, back in the days when I was a new mother, I had to come up with creative ways to use all the extra baby food I had lying around that my young daughter refused to eat. After several attempts, I finally came up with this version.
- 1⁄2 cup sweet unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (6 ounce) jar banana baby food
- 3 over ripe bananas, mashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon banana extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix together sugar and butter in a microwaveable dish and cook on HIGH heat just long enough for it to soften up- maybe 30 seconds, but not to melt it completely.
- Remove and stir to combine.
- Mix together baby food, over-ripe bananas, lime juice, eggs,vanilla,extract, and buttermilk.
- Mix in the butter mixture gradually, so as not to cook the eggs.
- It will look a little curdly from the lime juice- this is normal and will go away upon baking.
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then add the wet mixture and stir with a wooden spoon just enough to combine the ingredients and moisten them- pressing out any big lumps with your spoon (don't overmix).
- Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan (9x5") and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F (180 C) for about an hour or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Let cool completely before serving or it will fall apart.
Very good banana flavor! It was easy to make and smelled so good while it was baking. It was hard to wait for it to cool before slicing it to eat. I used 2% milk for the buttermilk since I didn't have any and it turned out fine. Thanks for the recipe HeatherFeather.