Recipe by I'mPat
In my endeavour to try new foods I have not had before, in this case fennel I am posting this recipe from Australian Delicious as it appeals to me and hope it will you too.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Fantastic recipe -- packed with some of my favourite flavours! I had one large fennel bulb that I cut into 1cm slices and cooked in boiling water for about 6 minutes. I decided to make the whole salsa recipe, knowing I could use the leftovers creatively. I planned to use only a 1/2 cup of oil, but needed the extra 1/4 cup to let the food processor do its job. I must confess that I preferred the extra tartness there was before I added the last of the oil, but the oil did mellow everything out for those who don't love tart as much as I do. To serve, I tossed the fennel with about 1/2 the salsa. Don't tell the family, but I'm selfishly saving the rest of the salsa for some clandestine usage -- maybe on baked potatoes. I will make this recipe often -- and the salsa will probably get made just to have on hand. Thanks for posting. UPDATE: I just ate the small amount of fennel that was left over from last night. Absolutely delicious -- maybe even tastier than yesterday if that's possible. So clearly this dish can be made a day or so ahead. And it's great warm or at room temperature.
- 1 cup flat leaf parsley (1 bunch flat leaf was specified leaves picked)
- 50 g capers (salted, rinsed and drained)
- 8 anchovy fillets (in olive oil, drained)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (185 ml)
- 6 fennel bulbs (baby trimmed)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the salsa verde, whiz all ingrdients except the fennel in a food processor to a coarse paste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, slice the fennel into 2-3 cm wedges and cook in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes until just tender.
- Drain, then place on a clean tea towel until dry, yet still warm.
- To serve, arrange fennel wedges in a bowl and drizzle with the salsa verde.
- Serve as part of an antipasti platter.