Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
You can prepare the mascarpone & mashed pumpkin up to 6 hours ahead, cover & store in fridge until picking up where you left off. From Australian Good Taste magazine.
- 500 g kent pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, coarsely chopped
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 40 g butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 (250 g) carton mascarpone
- 1 bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 220°C and line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- To make the herbed mascarpone, combine the mascarpone, chives, parsley and dill in a bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
- Cook the pumpkin in a steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water for 15 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a sieve over a bowl and set aside for 30 minutes to cool then place in a bowl and use a fork to mash until smooth.
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the pumpkin and 1 1/2 tablespoons of the buttermilk. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until evenly incorporated and the mixture begins to hold together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until smooth. Divide into 6 even portions, shaping each portion into a ball and placing them on the lined tray.
- Use a small sharp knife to cut a cross in the top of each damper and lightly brush tops with the remaining buttermilk and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until golden and dampers sound hollow when tapped on the base. Serve warm or at room temperature with herbed mascarpone.