Prep 20 mins
Cook 36 mins
This recipe comes from a November 1987 issue of Bon Appetit featuring a "Creole Thanksgiving". You may want to adjust the amount of pepper for your own personal preferances.
- 2 lbs baby carrots
- 2 lbs Brussels sprouts, trimmed, cross cut in root ends
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
- 1⁄3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- Blanch carrots in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer carrots to bowl of ice water using slotted spoon; return water to a boil.
- Add brussels sprouts and blanch until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to another bowl of ice water using slotted spoon.
- Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Drain;chill.
- Bring stock, butter and sugar to boil in heavy large skillet, stirring until sugar disolves.
- Boil until reduced by half, about 7 minutes.
- Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Return to boil before continuing.
- Add carrots and cook until almost tender and sauce begins to coat,shaking pan occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Add brussels sprouts and pepper (to taste) and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes.
Good idea, not well executed. 3 stars as written, 4 after I tweaked it. Cut broth to 1/2 cup, butter to 4 tbsp, increased sugar to 3/4 c, cut pepper to 1 tsp, added 1/4 tsp ground ginger and 1/4 tsp ground mustard. Blanched carrots and sprouts together for 8 minutes, then drained well and added directly to sauce, where they cooked, covered, another 20 minutes until tender.