Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
There are several recipes posted which are similar to this, but by the Gods of the 60's, this is the basic one so many of our bridge-playing, menthol-cigarette-smoking, cream-of-mushroom-soup-casserole-making mothers had ready for us after school. I do the same for mine (without the bridge, cigs or Campbells) and they are always devoured. The recipe doubles and triples, butter substitutes well for the shortening and I use whatever nuts are on hand - they all work.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cream shortening and sugars.
- Add egg and vanilla and combine.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add the dry to the creamed mixture and stir well.
- Add the coconut, cornflakes, walnuts and combine (hands help).
- Drop by teaspoon on cookie sheet.
- Press fairly flat with fork dipped often in cold water.
- Bake 7-8 minutes.
Wrote this one down for my recipe box! These are so delicious, and quick to put together with what I normally have on hand. I used Froste
This is my NEW favourite cookie. :)I only wish I could give this more stars. This gem is buttery like a shortbread, and slightly chewy. Very easy to make, but you do need to use your hands to get the final ingredients worked in properly. I ended up with 48 cookies that won't last long at all. Gave a few to our neighbours, who also thought they were amazing. (Hi Jenn. :) ) Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.