Recipe by Sharon123
Rice or ramen noodles make a good partner for this tofu-enhanced vegetable dish inspired by traditional Chinese cooking. From Country Living magazine. After seeing many review, I would recommend using low sodium broth. This dish can be a little salty!
Top Review by scrumptrulessence
I am not a fan of shiitake mushrooms so I sliced up some onions & added those instead. The recipe is overall very good, and I liked the sauce with the exception of it being too salty. It may have just been the soy sauce I used but I think if I made this again I would use half as much as the recipe calls for. Otherwise the tofu and the veggies were delicious and I would recommend serving this with jasmine rice for a simple light and tasty dinner.
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth (or use low sodium chicken if you like)
- 6 slices peeled fresh gingerroot
- 8 baby bok choy or 8 shanghai pak choi, halved lengthwise and any discolored outer leaves discarded
- 1⁄2 lb medium fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed (I have used part portabella in a pinch) or 16 dried shiitake mushrooms (I have used part portabella in a pinch) or 16 dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked in boiling water until soft, drained, and stems removed (I have used part portabella in a pinch)
- 1 small green onion, diagonally sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth (unsalted if possible)
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons oriental sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- On paper towels, pat tofu dry on all sides.
- Cut tofu crosswise into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- On small plate, place cornstarch.
- Heat nonstick wok or large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add 2 tbls. oil and swirl to coat pan.
- One at a time, dip tofu slices into cornstarch to coat cut surfaces and place in wok.
- Fry until well browned on one side--about 5 minutes.
- Turn tofu slices and fry other sides until well browned.
- Transfer tofu to center of large serving platter; cover with foil and keep warm.
- Add broth and gingerroot to wok and heat to boiling.
- Add bok choy, cover and cook until tender and most of broth evaporates-about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Sauce (see below).
- With slotted spoon or pancake turner, remove bok choy and place, cut sides down, around rim of platter with tofu; cover and keep warm.
- Discard ginger slices and any remaining broth.
- Reheat wok over high heat until hot.
- Add remaining 1 tbls. oil and the mushrooms.
- Stir-fry mushrooms until softened-about 5 minutes.
- Restir Sauce and pour over mushrooms; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Transfer mushrooms from Sauce and place over tofu.
- Pour Sauce over all.
- Garnish with green onion, if desired.
- Sauce: In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup vegetable broth, 1/4 cup fish sauce, 2 tbls.soy sauce, 2 tsp.cornstarch, 2 tsp.sugar, and 2 tsp.Oriental sesame oil.