Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This idea for a cake is so sweet! This would be perfect for a baby shower or even your little ones first birthday party!! You use frozen, store-bought or homemade pound cakes cut in half to make "blocks" and then frost with "b-a-b-y" or the baby/child's name that the party is celebrating!! NOTE: the quantity of cakes and frosting depends on how many blocks you need to spell out the name.
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) frozen poundcake, thawed
- white frosting
- food coloring
- Make or buy a minimum of 2 pound cakes (quantity depends on how big of a name you are spelling).
- Slice in half width-wise and shave sides and top accordingly to make a cube.
- Color appropriate amount of white frosting with food coloring to make pink, blue or whatever colors "blocks" you want.
- Frost all sides but the bottom of the blocks with the colored frosting.
- Using a frosting gun or a ziploc (with tip cut) filled with remaining white frosting - write the first letter on all sides, including the top of the block.
- Repeat with the additional "blocks" by finishing out the name you are using.
- Arrange blocks to spell out the name on a beautiful platter and getting ready for the compliments!
- NOTE: You could also bake 2 13x9 cakes and cut into cubes and make the "blocks" 2-layers stacked.
- You could get even fancier and pipe the contrasting color of frosting onto the edges/trim of the blocks to define them more.
- Or you could decorate the blocks with the white frosting and spell the baby's name out with the color-tinted frosting.
- The possibilities are endless!
Really fun idea!<br/>I am not a good cake decorator - that is definitely not my talent and found this to be a little more difficult because the blocks are so small and hard to neatly frost, but I did it and it was fun! I would recommend using some kind of crusting buttercream so that the frosting hardens and isn't as messy. <br/>Cute idea! Thanks!
Such an awsome idea! I made these cute blocks for a baby shower I hosted for my best friend. I am no cake decorator and they were pretty difficult to frost, but they turned out a little messy, but super cute. My friend's mom bought a frosted, undecorated sheet cake so I could decorate it myself with the blocks and other cute little things. Everyone commented on how cute and original it was. They all thought that we got it like that from the bakery. I used Lemon Pound Cake for the pound cake (great lemony flavor), Kittencal's Bakery Buttercream Frosting/Icing for the frosting (so delicious!) and Cookie Icing/Frosting That Hardens for the writing. Thank you for a great idea that was a huge hit!
This is such a cute idea!! A friend and I used for a baby shower. We stacked two layers and put a layer of frosting with sliced strawberries in between. We used green frosting to make the piping along the edges of the blocks and yellow for the letters. It was hard to frost and we are definitely amateurs :) But it still turned out cute -- I will make again and hopefully get better at making the frosting smooth. Thanks for a wonderful idea -- better and less complicated than Martha Stewart's version ;)