Recipe by Mom2Rose
This idea for a cake is so sweet! This would be perfect for a baby shower or even your little ones first birthday party!! You use frozen, store-bought or homemade pound cakes cut in half to make "blocks" and then frost with "b-a-b-y" or the baby/child's name that the party is celebrating!! NOTE: the quantity of cakes and frosting depends on how many blocks you need to spell out the name.
Top Review by Dine & Dish
Really fun idea!<br/>I am not a good cake decorator - that is definitely not my talent and found this to be a little more difficult because the blocks are so small and hard to neatly frost, but I did it and it was fun! I would recommend using some kind of crusting buttercream so that the frosting hardens and isn't as messy. <br/>Cute idea! Thanks!
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) frozen poundcake, thawed
- white frosting
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Make or buy a minimum of 2 pound cakes (quantity depends on how big of a name you are spelling).
- Slice in half width-wise and shave sides and top accordingly to make a cube.
- Color appropriate amount of white frosting with food coloring to make pink, blue or whatever colors "blocks" you want.
- Frost all sides but the bottom of the blocks with the colored frosting.
- Using a frosting gun or a ziploc (with tip cut) filled with remaining white frosting - write the first letter on all sides, including the top of the block.
- Repeat with the additional "blocks" by finishing out the name you are using.
- Arrange blocks to spell out the name on a beautiful platter and getting ready for the compliments!
- NOTE: You could also bake 2 13x9 cakes and cut into cubes and make the "blocks" 2-layers stacked.
- You could get even fancier and pipe the contrasting color of frosting onto the edges/trim of the blocks to define them more.
- Or you could decorate the blocks with the white frosting and spell the baby's name out with the color-tinted frosting.
- The possibilities are endless!