Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The first ones of summer, patiently waited for, these are soooo delicious!!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb baby beets with tops, attached
- 1 medium walla walla onion, rough chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 -3 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar
- Wash beet tops well and shake excess water off.
- Cut the baby beets off the stems and slice the bigger ones in half.
- Cut the stems off the leaves and discard.
- In a large non stick frypan, over high heat, add the olive oil, onions and baby beet pieces.
- Saute'til onions are just beginning to soften.
- Add the beet leaves, whole.
- (They should be medium to small leaves and very fresh.) Reduce heat to medium and add the smashed garlic, salt and pepper.
- Turn everything over several times to mix well, while cooking 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add oyster sauce and balsamic vinegar, turn over several times, cover and cook another 5 minutes.
- Drain slightly/loosely, do not press, serve hot, immediately.
Incredibly good. I cut my 1" or less diameter beets into four or more wedges and couldn't get them cooked in the recommended time. Next time I'll pre-roast the beets. Alternatively the beets could be cut much smaller. Either way, the flavor won't disappoint.