Recipe by PACE
As you can see by my recipes, I am a great fan of the almighty Rib! This recipe is one of the best. It gives you a little twist from the standard Baby Back Ribs recipies that everyone knows, without venturing too far. It is by far my favorite. It is perfect for the summer barbeque and picnic.
Ingredients for Ribs
- 4 -6 slabs baby back ribs, about 10 - 12 ribs per slab
- Chinese five spice powder
- kosher salt
- coarse black pepper
Ingredients for Glaze
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, pureed in the blender or 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 8 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Directions for Ribs:
- Preheat your gas grill or charcoal to medium high heat.
- Season the ribs liberally on both sides with spices. Place the ribs on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes per side. Remove the ribs from the grill and allow to cool. (Or, if you prefer, you can broil in a conventional oven for 5 minutes per side.)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wrap the ribs in plastic wrap, then in foil, place on a baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 1½ hours. Remove the ribs from the oven and allow to cool while still wrapped.
- Prior to serving, spoon the Orange-Chipotle Glaze (see recipe below) over the ribs, liberally coating both sides. Serve one slab of ribs per person, and pass the Orange-Chipotle Glaze at the table.
- Directions for Glaze:
- In a heavy 3-gallon non-reactive stockpot, reduce the orange juice to ¼ cup.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook over medium-high heat until the sugar has melted and the sauce has reduced to 4 cups and coats the back of a spoon, about 20 - 30 minutes. (Note: be sure to use a large pot as specified and also watch carefully while reducing the glaze - it has a tendency to over boil!).