Prep 30 mins
Cook 27 mins
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, underside scraped, cut in half, and then thinly sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) container cremini mushrooms, brushed clean and cut into quarters
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 medium red potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, with greens, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Preheat a large pot over high heat.
- Add in 2 tablespoons olive oil; add in both mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-6 minutes, or until all of the mushrooms are lightly brown.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pot to a plate; return the pot to the heat; add in 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper; then sprinkle it with the flour.
- Add the chicken to the pot; cook 3-4 minutes; then add in the onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add in the wine; cook 1 minute; then add in the chicken stock; bring it up to a simmer and return the mushrooms to the pot.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the peas and parsley; simmer 1 minute.
- Discard the bay leaf; serve with warm crusty bread.