Recipe by SueVM
This is my sister Babs recipe for Coffee Walnut Cake that she sent to me. I'm sure this came out of a British cookery book at some point but as she has been making it for years she can't remember exactly where it came from.
- 8 ounces butter, softened (US 2 sticks)
- 8 ounces caster sugar (US Superfine granulated)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons coffee extract (UK Coffee essence)
- 8 ounces self raising flour, sifted
- 3 ounces walnuts, chopped (setting whole walnuts aside for garnish)
Coffee Butter Cream frosting
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 8 ounces icing sugar, sifted (US confectioners sugar )
- 1 tablespoon coffee extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter 2 8inch cake pans and set aside Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
- Add the beaten eggs, the equivalent of one at a time, beating well. Add the coffee essence and stir.
- Fold in the sifted flour and chopped walnuts. Divide the mixture between the prepared cake pans and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35/45 minutes or until an inserted tooth pick comes out clean. Set aside until cool.
- Coffee Butter Cream Frosting:.
- Beat butter until creamy and slowly add icing sugar and coffee essence. Reserve some butter cream for the cake's top decoration.
- Place some butter cream between the two cakes and sandwich together. Add the reserved butter cream and the whole walnut pieces on top for decoration.