Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
This moist dark chocolate cake has been around forever. At our house the "Birthday Person" gets to request the meal and dessert of their choice. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've made this cake and each time it received rave reviews!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup boiling water, with
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- For cake: Put oven on to 350°F Grease and flour two 8-inch cake pans.
- In a large bowl, mix together first five (dry) ingredients. Make well in bowl for wet ingredients.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix together oil, milk and eggs. Pour into the well in dry ingredients.
- As you begin to beat the batter, add the cup of hot coffee. Beat until well mixed then for two minutes on high.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 30 minutes or until toothpick placed in center comes out dry.
- Cool for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and continue to cool on racks until completely cooled. Finish by icing with Buttercream that follows:.
- For Icing: Cream butter and shortening with mixer. Add vanilla extract.
- Gradually add confectioners' sugar while continually beating with mixer. Icing will seem dry.
- Add milk continually, mixing and scraping sides of bowl, until icing appears light and right consistency for icing cake.
- Cover until you are ready to icing. May be stored in refrigerator for 2 weeks if not used completely.
- Makes about 3 cups.
Great cake - didn't have coffee though. Icing terrific too! Thanks for posting almost exactly 5 years to the day!
I made this cake for my sons first birthday and it was awesome!!!! I had that many comments on how moist and delicious it was. It stayed moist for days as I had made one huge spaceship!
2nd try, my family loved it! I personally thought it was a tad on the bitter side, but the icing did help to balance that out (very sweet). Decent recipe and fun to make!