This little sandwich will make you want to slap somebody...probably me! I should have shared this little darling a long time ago. It's not my recipe but my dear friend, Babs. The combination of pepper jack cheese and black beans with purple onion on rye is about all one could ask for in a quick fix that tastes utterly divine.
- Sandwich prep:.
- Heat griddle or other skillet to medium heat.
- Lightly spread butter or margarine on all 8 slices of bread, one side only.
- Place black beans on several layers of paper towels and pat them dry.
- Cut pepper jack cheese into medium-thick slices as you would for a grilled cheese sandwich. You will need enough slices to make your required number of sandwiches.
- Have your chopped onions handy.
- To build your sandwich:.
- Make grilled cheese sandwich as you normally would -- but add black beans and purple onions in with the cheese.
- Grill on each side until golden brown and check to see that the cheese is nicely melted on the inside.