Recipe by southern chef in louisiana
I found this in my church sunday cookbook even though it's got some weird ingredients in to it. Very good.
Top Review by Fanged Menace
Yum! I came looking for a non-dessert banana recipe, and I found a novelty and a staple! I followed John Wenzelburger's suggestions for adding the fruit later, and I doubled the almonds because I like crunchy bits. The meat and sweet combination is very pleasant, not at all overly sweet. I only used 2 tsp of sugar, and I'll probably omit it entirely in the future. I didn't need any tomato juice for thinning. The consistency is that of chili, and the whole effect is further improved by serving over brown rice.
- 2 lbs ground beef (or half ground beef and ground pork)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 firm bananas, sliced
- 1 apple, peeled cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- tomato juice, for thinning
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the meat and drain off the fat. Add the onions, tomatoes (with juice), sugar, curry powder, vinegar, salt to taste, bananas, apples, jam, and almonds.
- Simmer gently, stirring frequently for 30 minutes.
- Add tomato juice to thicken and serve over rice.