Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
No actual baboons were harmed in the making or testing of this product :-). This recipe is awesome! **10/23/09 - recipe corrected**
- 1 (14 ounce) package caramels
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk, divided
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
- 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 (6 ounce) package chocolate chips
- powdered sugar (for garnish if desired)
- Grease a 9 X 13 cake pan.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine caramels and 1/3 cup evaporated milk in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until melted.
- Combine cake mix, margarine, 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and nuts.
- Stir by hand until dough is well mixed.
- Press half of the dough into pan.
- Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over crust; and spread caramel over top of that.
- Crumble remaining dough over top of caramel layer.
- Bake for 15 - 25 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
These are very rich and very good! I wasn't sure where to put the nuts, so I put 1/2 cup in the cake/dough mixture and 1/2 cup sprinkled over the crust with the chocolate chips. Thank you for posting.......my son says these are "the bomb"!
Yummmo! These are to die for! I wasn't sure where to add the nuts - but extra nuts are always good as far as I'm concerned!