Recipe by GiddyUpGo
This recipe is from week 25 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook on meal from every nation on Earth, and Belarus is my 25th stop. I never use any recipe for my blog that I'm not reasonably sure is from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. This Belarusian babka is made with potatoes, flavored with bacon and baked in the oven.
- 6 potatoes, grated
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 ounces bacon, diced
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon flour
- about 2 tbsp sour cream (more if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry the onions with the bacon until translucent.
- Add the bacon and onions to the grated potatoes and stir in the flour and eggs. (Note: when I did this recipe my potatoes came out undercooked, and if I had it to do over again I would probably try cooking the grated potatoes in a pan for a few minutes before adding them to the baking dish.).
- Put the mixture in a greased baking dish and brush the top with sour cream.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.