Recipe by Sonya01
You can use a Chinese clay pot, which should be soaked overnight in cold water before using for the first time. Available from Asian grocery stores.
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1.43 lb pork fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 -4 tablespoons corn oil or 3 -4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 1 star anise
- 1 5⁄8 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled (optional)
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- 1 fresh red bird's eye chili, finely sliced, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Place 1 tbs of the dark soy sauce, honey and five spice in a medium bowl. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Heat the oil in a Chinese clay pot or heavy-based medium saucepan over high heat until hot. Add the onion and cook, for 1-2 minutes or until it begins to turn golden brown. Add the garlic and star anise, and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Add the pork mixture to the pan and cook, tossing, for 3-4 minutes or until the pork starts to change colour.
- Add the water, sugar, salt and remaining soy sauce to the pot or pan and toss to combine. Bring the sauce to the boil. Add the hard-boiled eggs if using (the eggs will take on a dark colour and taste of the delicious sauce). Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the pork is tender and the sauce thickens slightly (if the sauce becomes too dry, add a little extra water).
- Serve immediately with the steamed rice and top with the chilli.