1/1 Photo of Babi Tauhu (Braised Pork in Dark Soy Sauce)
1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 10 mins
You can use a Chinese clay pot, which should be soaked overnight in cold water before using for the first time. Available from Asian grocery stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 650 g pork fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 3 -4 tablespoons corn oil or 3 -4 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 1 star anise
- 375 ml water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled (optional)
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- 1 fresh red bird's eye chili, finely sliced, to serve
- 1Place 1 tbs of the dark soy sauce, honey and five spice in a medium bowl. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.
- 2Heat the oil in a Chinese clay pot or heavy-based medium saucepan over high heat until hot. Add the onion and cook, for 1-2 minutes or until it begins to turn golden brown. Add the garlic and star anise, and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.
- 3Add the pork mixture to the pan and cook, tossing, for 3-4 minutes or until the pork starts to change colour.
- 4Add the water, sugar, salt and remaining soy sauce to the pot or pan and toss to combine. Bring the sauce to the boil. Add the hard-boiled eggs if using (the eggs will take on a dark colour and taste of the delicious sauce). Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the pork is tender and the sauce thickens slightly (if the sauce becomes too dry, add a little extra water).
- 5Serve immediately with the steamed rice and top with the chilli.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Babi Tauhu (Braised Pork in Dark Soy Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.6
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 68.2 mg
- Sodium 586.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 23.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder
red bird's eye chilies