Recipe by Prose
This is a Rachel Ray recipe that is actually vegan! I was channel surfing, stopped on 30 Minute Meals, and could not wait to try this easy, hearty, healthy, delicious vegan meal. Try crumbling soy feta on top. Serve with a Greek salad and warm pita bread.
- 1 lb whole wheat penne (or any pasta)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -6 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley (or any fresh parsley)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pine nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large pot of water to a boil, salt water and cook pasta to al dente.
- While water boils heat extra-virgin olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes then add the eggplant and chick peas and stir to coat. Season the chick peas and eggplant with cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, cover with lid and allow to cook for about 10 minutes. Stir in lemon zest and continue to cook until eggplant has broken down, about another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and place into a blender or food processor. Add the vegetable stock and tahini paste and process until a sauce consistency. Add the sauce back to the saucepan and heat over low heat until ready to serve.
- Add a ladle of starchy cooking liquid to the sauce, drain pasta and toss pasta with chickpea-eggplant sauce 1 minute then top with parsley and pine nuts. Place into a serving dish.