Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Source: Babbling Brook restaurant, Santa Cruz, Calif., from “The Second Ford Treasury of Favorite Recipes from Famous Eating Places,” (Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Mich., and Simon and Schuster, New York., 1954)
- Cook hen whole or disjointed in 1 1/2 quarts of water seasoned with salt.
- Cook for about 3 hours.
- When tender, lift out of the broth and cool. Pick meat from bones and cut in small pieces.
- Thicken broth with 7 tablespoons flour and 3/4 cup water.
- Mix smooth with an egg beater.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add a few drops of yellow food coloring.
- Strain over chicken.
- Reserve 4 cups of gravy in a flat stew pan for the dumplings. Bring to boil when ready to cook dumplings.
- To make the dumplings, sift dry ingredients into the blended egg, milk and oil and stir briskly until blended.
- Drop dumpling batter by teaspoonfuls into the boiling gravy.
- Cover and cook gently for 8-10 minutes or until done.