Recipe by ElaineAnn
Source: Babbling Brook restaurant, Santa Cruz, Calif., from “The Second Ford Treasury of Favorite Recipes from Famous Eating Places,” (Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Mich., and Simon and Schuster, New York., 1954)
Top Review by dolores in paradise
Sorry, but did not do well with this recipe. I think some more seasoning would help. Also the broth should get cold frist so you can remove the grease. gravy was very greasy.The stars are for the dumplings..They were good.
- 1 fat hen, whole or disjointed
- 7 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- yellow food coloring
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon melted shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook hen whole or disjointed in 1 1/2 quarts of water seasoned with salt.
- Cook for about 3 hours.
- When tender, lift out of the broth and cool. Pick meat from bones and cut in small pieces.
- Thicken broth with 7 tablespoons flour and 3/4 cup water.
- Mix smooth with an egg beater.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add a few drops of yellow food coloring.
- Strain over chicken.
- Reserve 4 cups of gravy in a flat stew pan for the dumplings. Bring to boil when ready to cook dumplings.
- To make the dumplings, sift dry ingredients into the blended egg, milk and oil and stir briskly until blended.
- Drop dumpling batter by teaspoonfuls into the boiling gravy.
- Cover and cook gently for 8-10 minutes or until done.