3 hrs 20 mins
Source: Babbling Brook restaurant, Santa Cruz, Calif., from “The Second Ford Treasury of Favorite Recipes from Famous Eating Places,” (Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, Mich., and Simon and Schuster, New York., 1954)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 fat hen, whole or disjointed
- 7 tablespoons flour
- salt and pepper
- yellow food coloring
- 1Cook hen whole or disjointed in 1 1/2 quarts of water seasoned with salt.
- 2Cook for about 3 hours.
- 3When tender, lift out of the broth and cool. Pick meat from bones and cut in small pieces.
- 4Thicken broth with 7 tablespoons flour and 3/4 cup water.
- 5Mix smooth with an egg beater.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 7Add a few drops of yellow food coloring.
- 8Strain over chicken.
- 9Reserve 4 cups of gravy in a flat stew pan for the dumplings. Bring to boil when ready to cook dumplings.
- 10To make the dumplings, sift dry ingredients into the blended egg, milk and oil and stir briskly until blended.
- 11Drop dumpling batter by teaspoonfuls into the boiling gravy.
- 12Cover and cook gently for 8-10 minutes or until done.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Babbling Brook’s Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.6
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 71.7 mg
- Sodium 420.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 11.7 g