Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
Entered for safe-keeping for ZWT. Posted by Cherihannah on grouprecipes.com, who claims the potato dumplings instead of egg noodles are the "Old Country" way and egg noodles are the (American) Pennsylvanian way. I am still in shock over 1 1/2 cups of butter (3 sticks)!
- PREPARE POTATO DUMPLINGS:.
- In a large bowl, add mashed potatoes, eggs and blend thoroughly.
- Add enough flour with a little salt to knead into a soft pliable dough that will not stick.
- Make into rolls and slice in about 1 inch pieces.
- Drop dumpling slices into boiling water and boil about 12 minutes. To test for doneness, break one open with fork after you take out of boiling water.
- Drain in small hole colander. (You can rinse if you prefer. I don't.).
- SAUTE CABBAGE AND ONIONS:.
- While boiling the dumplings, sautee (in large fry pan )butter, cabbage and onions until golden brown.
- Add drained dumplings to fry pan and fry a little longer. Mix it all well while frying but don't overdo so dumplings stay together.
Finally! Yes, this is exactly how my grandmother made them. Thank you.