1 hr 25 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This is wonderful spread generously over a warm whole wheat pita or as a dip for veggies or pita chips. From a May 1982 issue of Bon Appetit in the "New Naturals: A Fresh Approach". It was part of a Middle Eastern Feast menu.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (or more)
- 4 green onions, minced (including green tops)
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon honey
- 1 pinch red pepper
- fresh ground pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Make several cuts in eggplant with sharp knife.
- 3Combine eggplant in large saucepan with enough salted water to cover completely.
- 4Weight with smaller saucepan filled with water and let soak 20 minutes;rinse under cold water.
- 5Transfer to baking sheet and roast, turning occasionally, until eggplant is very soft, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- 6Let cool; peel and seed eggplant.
- 7Transfer pulp to small bowl and mash with fork, or transfer to blender and puree (eggplant should retain some texture).
- 8Combine tahini and 1/4 cup lemon juice in large bowl and mix well.
- 9Add more lemon juice if necessary to make thick paste.
- 10Add green onion,garlic,sesame seed, 2 tablespoons oil, parsley,soy sauce, honey, red pepper and ground pepper and mix well; stir in eggplant puree and adjust seasoning.
- 11Transfer mixture to shallow serving bowl, drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- 12Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 13(Can be prepared 1 day ahead.).
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baba Ghanouj (Eggplant and Sesame Spread)
Serving Size: 1 (149 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.2
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 281.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 8.9 g